Scandinavian Spritz Cookies
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 , unbeaten|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
Make, then freeze, as follows:
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter until very soft; gradually beat in sugar, until very light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and almond extract, beating until well blended.
3. With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating just until blended. Wrap dough in wax paper. Refrigerate until firmâ€”about 30 minutes.
4. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
5. Onto cold, ungreased cookie sheet, with cookie press and star-shaped disk, press out dough in long, straight strips. Cut each strip into 3- or 4-inch pieces; form into S, O, I, and U (or other desired shapes).
6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are golden.
7. Cool on wire racks. Pack cookies in freezer containers with 2 sheets of wax paper between layers, then freeze.
Let wrapped cookies stand at room temperature until thawedâ€”about 15 minutes. Then unwrap and serve Makes about 7 dozen.