Healthy Irish Soda Bread
|Wholemeal flour||1 Pound (plus extra for sifting)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Ounce (15 gram)|
|Cream of tartar||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Barbados sugar||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 milliliter)|
1. Lightly grease a large, flat ovenproof plate or microwave baking tray. Mix the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Dissolve the cream of tartar and sugar into the milk and use this to bind the flour together, adding a little more milk if necessary.
3. Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until it is firm and smooth and there are no cracks.
4. Flatten out the dough to a round about 18 cm (7 inches) in diameter and place it on the prepared plate or tray.
5. Brush the surface of the dough with a little milk and mark a deep cross on the top with a knife. Sift a little flour on top.
6. Microwave on HIGH for 9 minutes, giving the dish a quarter turn three times during the cooking time, until the bread is well risen and dry on top, then turn it over and microwave on HIGH for 1-1 1/2 minutes or until the surface looks cooked. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then serve warm.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1810 Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.7%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g66.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 54.5 mg18.2%
Sodium 2106.9 mg87.8%
Total Carbohydrates 349 g116.2%
Dietary Fiber 55.3 g221.4%
Sugars 17.5 g
Protein 70 g140%
Vitamin A 12.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 43% Iron 99.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet