Scandinavian Buffet Loaf
|Dark pumpernickel bread||2 Pound, unsliced (1 round loaf)|
|Canned red sock eye salmon/3 cans, 7 ounce each tuna, drained, flaked||2 Pound, drained (2 cans, 1 pound each)|
|Grated onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Snipped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped peeled cucumber||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cream cheese||16 Ounce (2 packages, 8 ounce each)|
|Snipped chives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soft butter||1⁄4 Pound|
|Fresh dill sprigs||2|
Day before, if desired, or early on day:
1. Cut off slice from top of pumpernickel so that its cut surface measures 6 inches across. Then, with sharp knife, cut 7 more thin slices; discard both top and bottom crusts.
2. In medium bowl combine salmon, onion, lemon juice, parsley, chopped cucumber, and mayonnaise. Blend well.
3. In another bowl blend softened cream cheese with the chives.
4. Butter both sides of all bread slices except underside of bottom slice; then restack them into round loaf. Now, starting with bottom slice, spread it evenly with about one-third of salmon mixture well out to its edges; cover with next slice; then spread this slice with about one-third cream-cheese mixture. Repeat, alternating fillings until all slices are spread. Cover with saran; refrigerate.
About 1 hour before serving:
1. Place sandwich loaf on serving plate; then cut with sharp knife into 12 pie-shaped wedges.
2. Cut 3 tomato slices from center of each tomato, then halve each slice and place a half on top of each sandwich wedge. Cut lemon in 12 wedges, then place one on top of each tomato slice. Top lemon wedges with sprigs of dill.
3. Slice unpared cucumber very thin. Then snip each slice at edge; twist to curl; then tuck one edge under base of sandwich loaf; repeat all around as pictured. Refrigerate until serving time. Serve in wedges, using pie server and serving fork.
Calories 342 Calories from Fat 147
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.5%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.6 mg22.9%
Sodium 640.3 mg26.7%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.2%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 15 g30%
Vitamin A 13.2% Vitamin C 9.1%
Calcium 11.7% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet