|Meat loaf mixture||1 Pound (ground beef and pork)|
|Onion||1 Small, grated|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Condensed consomme||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pickle relish||2 Tablespoon|
1. Mix meat-loaf mixture lightly with onion, bread crumbs, eggs, milk and seasonings until well-blended; shape into 48 balls.
2. Brown, half at a time, in shortening in a large frying pan; drain off all drippings. Return all meat to pan; stir in consomme; cover.
3. Simmer, stirring often, about 15 minutes or until meat balls are cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon; keep hot while making sauce.
4. Pour all liquid into a 1-cup measure; add water, if needed to make 1 cup. Return to pan; heat to boil. Stir flour into cold water, then into hot liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and boils for 1 minute; stir in pickle relish.
5. Pile meat balls into a chaffing dish or heated serving bowl; pour hot sauce over.