Shoo Fly Pie
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup light molasses
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Prepare and roll out pastry.
2. Line a 9-inch pie plate.
3. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate.
4. Flute edge; do not prick pastry.
5. Bake in 450° oven for 5 minutes.
6. Cool thoroughly on rack.
7. For filling, in mixing bowl stir together flour and brown sugar.
8. Cut in butter or margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
9. In another mixing bowl combine molasses, hot water, and baking soda.
10. Pour 1/3 of the molasses mixture into bottom of partially baked pastry shell.
11. Sprinkle 1/3 of the flour mixture atop molasses layer.
12. Repeat layers, ending with flour mixture.
13. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.
14. Bake in 375° oven for 15 minutes.
15. Remove foil; bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or till filling is set.
16. Cool pie on rack before serving.
17. Cover; chill to store.