Pine Nut And Cardamom Scones
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Cake flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Not Self Rising)|
|Double acting baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Double-acting baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon zest||2 Teaspoon, freshly grated|
|Cold unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon, cut into bits|
|Pine nuts||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), toasted lightly|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon (for sprinkling the scones)|
|For egg wash|
1. Preheat the oven at 400F.
2. In a bowl, prepare the egg wash by beating the egg with the milk.
3. In a bowl, add milk, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Whisk thoroughly until the mixture is all combined.
4. In another bowl stir the dry ingredients - flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and zest. Cut in butter to this mixture until the mixture turns to coarse meal-like.
5. Pour in the milk mixture and mix well. Add 3/4th of the pine nuts and fold into the mixture using a fork.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and gently knead for 30 seconds. Make a round shape of 3/4-inch-thickness. With a 2 1/2-inch fluted cutter, make several rounds from the dough.
6. Place the scones on an ungreased baking sheet. Press the remaining pine nuts lightly into the scones, brush the scones with the egg wash, and sprinkle them with the granulated sugar.
7. Place the baking sheet inside the oven and bake the scones in the middle for 15 to 18 minutes, or until they are golden.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature, with your choice of beverage.