Swedish Meat Balls
|Dry bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (prepared from 3 bread slices)|
|Ground round steak||1 Pound|
|Ground pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Mashed potatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Set out a large, heavy skillet having a tight-fitting cover.
2. Set out bread crumbs.
3. Lightly mix together in a large bowl 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs and steak, pork, potatoes, egg and a mixture of salt, brown sugar, pepper, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
4. Shape mixture into balls about 1 in. in diameter. Roll balls lightly in remaining crumbs.
5. Heat the butter in the skillet over low heat.
6. Add the meat balls and brown on all sides. Shake pan frequently to brown evenly and to keep balls round. Cover and cook about 15 min., or until meat balls are thoroughly cooked.
7. Keep meat balls hot for the smorgasbord.