Granny Smith Apple Strudel
|Granny smith apple||5 Medium, peeled, sliced to make 4 1/2 cups|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sliced almonds||2 Tablespoon, toasted|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated peeled ginger||2 Teaspoon (Fresh)|
|Frozen phyllo dough sheets||12 , thawed (14 X 9 Inch)|
|Butter flavored cooking spray||1|
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Place apple in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes or just until apple is tender. Drain; cool completely.
3. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; reserve 1/2 teaspoon sugar mixture for topping. Combine remaining sugar mixture, apple, raisins, 1 tablespoon almonds and next 3 ingredients in a bowl; toss well.
4. Place 1 phyllo dough sheet on work surface (cover remaining dough to keep from drying); lightly coat with cooking spray. Coat 5 additional phyllo sheets with cooking spray; place one on top of the other. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon almonds.
5. Spoon half of apple mixture along 1 long edge of phyllo dough, leaving 2-inch borders along 1 long edge and 2 short edges. Fold over short edges of phyllo dough to cover 2 inches of apple mixture on each end.
6. Starting at long edge with 2-inch border, loosely roll up jelly roll fashion. Place strudel, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut diagonal slits into top of strudel using a sharp knife. Lightly coat top of strudel with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon reserved sugar mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients.
7. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1759 Calories from Fat 188
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g33%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g7.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1053.9 mg43.9%
Total Carbohydrates 398 g132.7%
Dietary Fiber 38 g151.9%
Sugars 209.1 g
Protein 28 g55.3%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 26.7%
Calcium 25% Iron 53.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet