|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Ground veal||1⁄2 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk||3⁄4 Can (7.5 oz)|
|Onion||1 Small, grated|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Potatoes||6 Medium, pared and cut french-fry style|
|Cucumber||1 Medium, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick|
|Canned whole kernel corn||16 Ounce|
|Dairy sour cream||8 Ounce (1 Cup)|
|Dill weed||1 Teaspoon|
1. Mix ground beef and veal lightly with bread crumbs, egg, evaporated milk, onion, lemon rind and 1 teaspoon of the salt until well-blended; shape into 36 balls.
2. Brown, half at a time, in hot oil; place in a mound in one third of a greased 12-cup baking dish. (Set frying pan with drippings aside for making gravy.
3. Parboil potato strips in a small amount of boiling salted water 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and mound in second third of baking dish; set potato water aside.
3. Parboil cucumber slices in a small amount of boiling water 3 minutes; drain, adding liquid to potato water. Drain corn, adding liquid to potato-cucumber water, if needed, to make 1 cup. Toss corn with cucumber; spoon into remaining space in baking dish.
5. Blend flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper into drippings in frying pan; stir in the 1 cup saved vegetable liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boil for 1 minute. Blend a few tablespoons into sour cream, then stir back into remaining gravy in pan; stir in dill weed; heat just to boil.
6. Pour over meat balls and vegetables; stir lightly with a fork so gravy will flow to bottom; cover.
7. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 30 minutes, or until bubbly hot. To serve as pictured, spoon meat balls and vegetables into mounds on a heated serving platter; garnish with a pickled red pepper.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4245 Calories from Fat 2343
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 263 g404.4%
Saturated Fat 95.6 g478.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 897 mg299%
Sodium 4319.1 mg180%
Total Carbohydrates 316 g105.2%
Dietary Fiber 39.3 g157.1%
Sugars 73.1 g
Protein 182 g364%
Vitamin A 50.4% Vitamin C 388.1%
Calcium 121% Iron 118%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet