Fresh Lemon Meringue Pie
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , well beaten|
|Boiling water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Freshly grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|9 inch baked pastry shell||1|
1. For filling, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a 2-to 3-quart saucepan. Using a wire whisk, gradually blend in cold water, then lemon juice, until smooth. Add egg yolks, blending very thoroughly. Add butter. Slowly add boiling water, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula.
2. Over medium to high heat, gradually bring mixture to a full boil, stirring gently and constantly with spatula. Reduce heat slightly as mixture begins to thicken. Boil gently 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in lemon peel.
3. Pour hot filling into pastry shell. Let stand, allowing a thin film to form while preparing meringue.
4. For meringue, beat egg whites with an electric mixer several seconds until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat on high speed until egg whites have just lost their foamy appearance. They should bend over slightly when beaters are withdrawn, forming soft peaks.
5. Reduce speed to medium while gradually adding sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Return to high speed and beat until egg whites are fairly stiff, but still glossy. Soft peaks should be formed when beaters are withdrawn.