Strawberry Filled Meringues
|Egg whites||4 (At Room Temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Strawberries||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsweetened grapefruit juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 250Â° F. Line cookie sheet with brown paper.
2. Using electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl, until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; beat after each addition until soft peaks form.
3. Fill pastry bag with mixture and press meringues onto paper-lined cookie sheet in round or oval shells 3 to 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch high; form a solid base first, then build up sides. Or shape shells by mounding meringue into 6 piles on paper-lined cookie sheet and, using back of wet teaspoon, make a hollow in center of each.
4. Bake for 1 1/2 hours; cool completely. Using sharp-edged spatula, carefully remove meringues to wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, hull, wash and slice strawberries; place in bowl and toss with grapefruit juice. Chill.