Orange Irish Soda Bread
|Sifted flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), divided (plus tablespoons)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Currants||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Caraway seeds||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Skim milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Sift together into mixing bowl 2 cups flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
3. Cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add currants, orange rind, and caraway seeds. Set aside.
4. Combine vinegar and milk. Add 1/2 of the liquid to the dry ingredients. Blend quickly. Add remaining liquid and stir only until blended.
5. Turn dough onto floured surface using 2 tablespoons flour. Knead dough 10 times and shape into round loaf. Place in 8-inch round pan sprayed with vegetable pan spray.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
7. Cut in wedges to serve.