1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the flour, brown sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl.
3. In a 1-quart saucepan mix the corn syrup, butter, orange rind, and spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Cool.
4. In a large bowl beat the egg until thick and lemon-colored. Slowly stir in the syrup mixture. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Drop by teaspoons 2 inches apart onto well-oiled cookie sheets.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove at once from the cookie sheets and cool on wire racks.