|All purpose flour||4 1⁄4 Cup (68 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (3 Sticks)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red food coloring||1 Drop|
|Green food coloring||1 Drop|
|Almond frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Sift 4 cups of the flour and salt onto wax paper.
2. Beat butter or margarine with sug ar until fluffy in large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed; beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture,
a third at a time, blending well to make a soft dough.
3. Divide dough in half; stir remaining 1/4 cup flour into one half for making rounds for base; reserve. Divide remaining half in two equal parts; place each in a small bowl.
4. Blend 1/4 teaspoon of the almond extract and enough red food coloring into dough in one bowl to tint a delicate pink, and remaining 1/4 tea spoon almond extract and enough green food coloring into dough in second bowl to tint light green. Chill tinted doughs 30 minutes.
5. Roll out plain dough, 1/8 inch thick, on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; cut into rounds with a floured 2 1/2 -inch plain or fluted cutter. Place, 1 inch apart, on cookie sheets.
6. Fit star plate or disk on cookie press; fill with pink dough; press out onto ungreased cookie sheets. Fit press with sunburst plate or disk; repeat with green dough.
7. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 10 minutes for plain cookies and 15 minutes for tinted ones, or until firm. Remove carefully from cookie sheets with spatula; cool completely on wire racks.
8. Place about 1/4 teaspoonful almond frosting in the center of each plain cookie; top with a tinted one to make a sandwich. Let stand until frosting sets.