Swedish Slice Offs
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), ground (Slivered Or Whole)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light molasses||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Grind almonds: Place in container of electric blender, 1/4 cup at a time; cover: process on high 30 seconds, or until very fine. (Or you can chop them with a French knife until fine.)
2. Beat butter or margarine with sugar until fluffy in large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed; beat in almonds and molasses. Turn speed to low; blend in flour, baking soda and salt to make a soft dough.
3. Shape dough into a roll, 1 1/4 inches in diameter, on a sheet of wax paper; roll up and twist ends to seal. Chill at least 4 hours, or until ready to bake.
4. Place roll on a wooden board and cut into 1/4 inch slices with a French knife. Place in rows on cookie sheets. (You can return uncut portion of roll to the refrigerator. It will keep up to 2 weeks, if tightly sealed.)
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 10 minutes, or until slices are firm when touched lightly with fingertip. Remove from sheet with spatula; cool on wire racks. Store in metal tin.