Pennsylvania Dutch Cake
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apple butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease bottom of three 8-inch layer cake pans; line pans with wax paper; grease paper.
2. Measure flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into sifter. Stir vinegar into milk in 2-cup measure.
3. Beat shortening and sugar until fluffy in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in apple butter.
4. Sift in dry ingredients, a quarter at a time, adding alternately with milk mixture; stir with a wire whip or beat with mixer at low speed just until blended. Pour into pans.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly touched with fingertip.
6. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes; loosen around edges with a narrow spatula; turn out onto racks. Peel off paper; cool layers completely.
7. Make FLUFFY FILLING AND FROSTING. Put layers together with filling; cover top and side with frosting.
8. Quarter, core, and slice apple into thin wedges. Arrange with walnuts around top and side of cake. Chill until ready to serve.