Pennsylvania Dutch Cake
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apple butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease bottom of three 8-inch layer cake pans; line pans with wax paper; grease paper.
2. Measure flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into sifter. Stir vinegar into milk in 2-cup measure.
3. Beat shortening and sugar until fluffy in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in apple butter.
4. Sift in dry ingredients, a quarter at a time, adding alternately with milk mixture; stir with a wire whip or beat with mixer at low speed just until blended. Pour into pans.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly touched with fingertip.
6. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes; loosen around edges with a narrow spatula; turn out onto racks. Peel off paper; cool layers completely.
7. Make FLUFFY FILLING AND FROSTING. Put layers together with filling; cover top and side with frosting.
8. Quarter, core, and slice apple into thin wedges. Arrange with walnuts around top and side of cake. Chill until ready to serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3772 Calories from Fat 1193
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 135 g207.2%
Saturated Fat 37.3 g186.7%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 868.5 mg289.5%
Sodium 3441.7 mg143.4%
Total Carbohydrates 582 g194%
Dietary Fiber 17.6 g70.5%
Sugars 318.7 g
Protein 66 g132.7%
Vitamin A 27% Vitamin C 14.3%
Calcium 48.6% Iron 108.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet