Bread sauce is a must for every roast dinner. Why not jazz yours up a little with some strands of saffron? Follow along in our easy step-by-step video to see how it's done.
1 , chopped
Fresh white breadcrumbs
Ground black pepper
1. Place saffron strands on a sheet of baking parchment on a baking tray and cook in a hot oven for a few minutes to dry out.
2. Into a saucepan, pour milk and add onion, bay leaves and cloves. Bring to the boil, then remove pan from the heat and leave for milk to infuse.
3. Strain milk into a jug, reserving a bay leaf for garnish. Pour it again into the saucepan.
4. Stir in the butter and breadcrumbs. Add saffron and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook the sauce over a low heat for about 5-10 minutes until thickened. If it thickens too much, thin with a little extra milk.
6. Serve this Saffron Scented Bread Sauce hot.
Why buy ready-made bread sauce when you can easily make yummy and rich bread sauce at home within a few minutes? Watch the video to know how to prepare this rich and creamy side dish with simple, everyday ingredients in about a minute!