Green Apple Strudel
|Green cooking apples||3 Large|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark seedless raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Phyllo||8 Ounce (1 Package, Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Grease large cookie sheet. Peel and thinly slice apples. In large bowl, toss apples with sugar, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and 1/4 cup bread crumbs.
2. Cut two 24-inch lengths of waxed paper; overlap 2 long sides about 2 inches; fasten with cellophane tape.
3. On waxed paper, arrange 1 sheet of phyllo (about 18" by 12"); brush with some melted butter or margarine; sprinkle with scant tablespoon bread crumbs. Continue layering phyllo, brushing each sheet with melted butter or margarine and sprinkling every other sheet with crumbs.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Starting along 1 long side of phyllo, spoon apple mixture to about 1/2 inch from edges to cover about half of phyllo rectangle. From apple-mixture side, roll phyllo, jelly-roll fashion.
5. Place roll on cookie sheet, seam side down. Brush with remaining melted butter. Bake 40 minutes or until golden. Cool on cookie sheet 30 minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3177 Calories from Fat 1141
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 131 g201.3%
Saturated Fat 61.7 g308.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 241.9 mg80.6%
Sodium 2037.3 mg84.9%
Total Carbohydrates 471 g157.2%
Dietary Fiber 28 g112.2%
Sugars 261.3 g
Protein 37 g74.3%
Vitamin A 63.6% Vitamin C 214.3%
Calcium 42.8% Iron 52%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet