Almond Meringue Mushrooms
|Egg whites||4 (At Room Temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Semi-sweet chocolate square||2 , melted|
1. Line large cookie sheet with foil.
2. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form; gradually sprinkle in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition, until sugar completely dissolves and whites stand in stiff, glossy peaks. Beat in almond extract.
3. Preheat oven to 200°F. Spoon meringue into large decorating bag with large writing tube. Pipe meringue onto cookie sheet in 30 mounds, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, to resemble mushroom caps. Pipe remaining meringue upright onto cookie sheet in thirty 1/2-inch lengths to resemble mushroom stems. Bake 1 3/4 hours. Turn oven off; let meringues stand in oven 30 minutes longer to dry. Cool completely on cookie sheet on wire rack.
4. With tip of small knife, cut a small hole in center of underside of a mushroom cap. Place small amount of melted chocolate in hole; spread underside of cap with chocolate. Attach stem to mushroom cap by inserting pointed end of stem into hole in underside of cap; repeat with remaining caps and stems. Let chocolate dry, about 1 hour.
5. Store mushrooms in tightly covered container. Just before serving, sprinkle tops of mushrooms lightly with cocoa
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 951 Calories from Fat 163
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.6%
Saturated Fat 11.3 g56.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 202.8 mg8.4%
Total Carbohydrates 196 g65.4%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.3%
Sugars 182.1 g
Protein 18 g35.9%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 4.7% Iron 22.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet