Irish Fruit Cake
|Walnuts||7 Ounce (1 1/2 Cups)|
|Dark seedless raisins||4 Ounce (3/4 Cups)|
|Golden raisins||4 Ounce (3/4 Cups)|
|Currants||3 Ounce (3/4 Cups)|
|Diced citron||4 Ounce (3/4 Cups)|
|Candied orange peel||4 Ounce, diced (3/4 Cups)|
|Halved candied cherries||6 Ounce, candied (3/4 Cups)|
|Irish whiskey/Bourbon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green food coloring||2 Tablespoon|
|Green decorating sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Chop walnuts coarsely and set aside.
2. Combine raisins, currants, and candied fruits and peels with 1/3 cup whiskey, molasses, and lemon peel. Mix well, cover, and let stand overnight.
3. The next day, sift flour with baking powder, salt, and spices.
4. Cream butter and brown sugar well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition (mixture will look curdled). Blend flour mixture into creamed mixture. Add fruits and walnuts and mix well.
5. Turn into a well-greased 9-inch Bundt pan.
6. Place a shallow pan of hot water on oven floor. Set filled Bundt pan on lowest rack of oven.
7. Bake at 300°F about 1 3/4 hours, or until cake tests done. Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert cake onto wire rack and spoon remaining whiskey slowly over cake so it soaks in. Cool cake completely.
8. To decorate, mix a small amount of confectioners' sugar with enough water to thin to pouring consistency. Tint lightly with food coloring; drizzle over top of cake. Sprinkle with green sugar and arrange walnut halves on top.