Austrian Potato Stew
|Smoked ham||4 Ounce|
|Finely chopped yellow onion||1 Large|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄4 , grated|
1. Boil the potatoes in their skins for about 8 minutes,
2. Peel and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.
3. Cut ham in strips or cubes.
4. Brown the ham and the onion over low heat while stirring. Sprinkle in the flour and add the stock.
5. Add wine vinegar, salt, pepper, marjoram or thyme, grated lemon rind, and capers.
6. Taste and correct seasoning of the stew, if necessary, and add the potato slices and bay leaf.
7. Boil potatoes until soft and serve the dish piping hot, sprinkled with parsley or watercress.