|Carrot||1 , sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Shredded cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Leek||1 , sliced|
|Lean fresh pork||1 Pound|
|Celery stalk||1 , sliced|
|Navy beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Cooked / Canned)|
|Smoked pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Tomato puree||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cold water||2 1⁄2 Quart|
|Onions||2 Large, quartered|
|Soup beef with cracked soup bone||2 Pound|
|Potatoes||3 Large, cut into eighths|
|Frankfurters||5 , thickly sliced|
1. In a heavy six-quart pot, simmer the beef and bone in the water about one hour. Add the fresh and smoked pork, bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, parsley, carrot, celery and leek. Cover tightly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer slowly one and one-half hours.
2. Meanwhile, boil seven of the beets, unpeeled, until tender. Slip off the skins and cut each into eight pieces. Grate the eighth beet raw and mix with three tablespoons cold water. Reserve.
3. Remove the bone and meats from the pot and discard the bone. Strain the soup, discarding the vegetables and flavoring materials. Return the meats and liquid to the pot. Add the cooked beets, cabbage, onions, potatoes, tomato puree, vinegar and sugar. Simmer, covered, forty minutes. Add the beans and frankfurters and simmer, covered, ten minutes.
4. Skim the excess fat from the soup. Add the liquid from the grated raw beet and season with salt to taste.
5. Remove the meats, slice and return to the soup. Return to a boil and serve.
Calories 111 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.2%
Saturated Fat 0.91 g4.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 15.2 mg5.1%
Sodium 321.3 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.8%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 7 g13.2%
Vitamin A 9.1% Vitamin C 18.7%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 7.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet