Sweet Dundee Cake
|Sultanas/Other raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Currants||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Candied orange peel/Citron / grated rind of 1 small orange||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded / chopped|
|Chopped blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), may use shredded|
|Blanched almonds||12 , split|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Grease a round 9 by 3 1/2 inch pan or casserole. Line the bottom with waxed paper and grease the paper. Preheat oven to moderate (325° F.).
2. Chop the raisins. Wash the currants and dry them. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Whip the butter well. Add sugar gradually and whip until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until very fluffy after each.
5. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to the butter mixture, stirring after each addition only until well mixed. Do not beat.
6. Fold in the raisins, currants, orange peel or citron and the shredded almonds. Turn into prepared pan and arrange the split almonds over the top.
7. Bake about one hour and fifteen minutes, or until the cake has begun to shrink from the sides of the pan. Cool fifteen minutes before removing from the pan.