|Cold water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mashed potato||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooled|
|Rye meal/Flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Approximately)|
1. Stir the cold water into the cornmeal. Add to the boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
2. Add the salt, sugar, shortening and caraway. Let stand until lukewarm. Meanwhile, soften the yeast in the lukewarm water.
3. Add the potatoes and yeast to the cornmeal mixture. Add the rye flour and enough whole wheat flour to make a stiff dough, stirring first with a spoon, then with the hands.
4. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic and does not stick to the board.
5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, grease the surface, cover with a towel and let stand in a warm place (80° to 85° F.) until doubled in bulk.
6. Divide the dough into three or four portions and form into loaves. Place, seam side down, in greased loaf pans. Grease the tops of the loaves, cover and let rise until double in bulk.
7. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (375° F.) about one hour.