|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Lukewarm water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Salad oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , well beaten|
|Melted butter/Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry bread crumbs||2 Tablespoon|
|Strudel filling||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Sift the flour into a bowl. Reserving two tablespoons of water, combine the remainder with the oil, egg, egg yolk and salt. Add to the flour and stir into a smooth dough, adding the remainder of the water if necessary. The dough should be stiff.
2. Place the dough on a floured board and knead three minutes. Cover with a warm bowl and let stand thirty minutes.
3. Cover a table at least thirty inches square with a tablecloth and rub flour into the cloth evenly. A double face, pressure-sensitive tape is excellent for holding the cloth firm by securing the edges to the underneath rim of the table.
4. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough in every direction to make it into as perfect a circle as possible. Place the backs of the hands under the dough, and, using a gentle hand-over-hand motion, stretch in all directions.
5. Pull the extremities of the dough with the fingers and anchor them over the table's edge to facilitate the stretching.
6. With an ordinary pair of kitchen scissors, trim off the overhanging edges as neatly as possible. With a pastry brush, brush the entire surface of the dough generously with melted butter or salad oil. Sprinkle lightly and as evenly as possible with fine dry bread crumbs.
7. Place the filling in an even roll the full width of the dough and approximately two inches from one of the ends. Carefully fold the two inches of dough over the filling. Pat the dough, if necessary, to make it adhere. Fold the two parallel sides of the dough toward the center, taking care to totally enclose the filling.
8. Lift the edge of the tablecloth closest to the filling and continue lifting to make the dough roll over and over itself. The dough may be rolled directly onto a baking sheet. Slice in half, if necessary, or curve into a horseshoe shape. Brush with melted butter.
9. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350° F.) until golden brown, about twenty-five to thirty minutes.
10. Slide the strudel onto a bread board and cut into two-inch pieces.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2102 Calories from Fat 397
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.4%
Saturated Fat 11.2 g56.2%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 243.7 mg81.2%
Sodium 902.4 mg37.6%
Total Carbohydrates 371 g123.6%
Dietary Fiber 13.9 g55.5%
Sugars 36.4 g
Protein 49 g98.8%
Vitamin A 13.5% Vitamin C 6.8%
Calcium 15.6% Iron 113.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet