Pate Beau Sejour
|Salt pork||2 Pound|
|Pork liver||2 Pound|
|Boneless veal||2 Pound|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (To Cover)|
|Sherry||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered bay leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||4 , lightly beaten|
|Condensed beef consomme||1 Can (10 oz) (1 1/3 Cups)|
1. Remove the rind from the salt pork and the tough membranes from the liver and veal. Cut all the meat in one-and-one-half-inch cubes.
2. Place the salt pork in a pan, cover with boiling water and bring to a boil. Boil three minutes, drain and add the pork to the liver and veal.
3. Mix one cup of the sherry with the cognac, poultry seasoning, salt and bay leaf and pour over the meats. Let stand one day, covered, in the refrigerator. Turn the meats occasionally.
4. Preheat oven to slow (300° F.).
5. Drain the meats, reserving the marinade. Grind the meats twice, using first the coarsest and then the finest knife of a food grinder.
6. To the ground meats, add the marinade, cream and egg yolks. Blend.
7. Turn the mixture into two bread pans 9x5x3 inches. Place in a pan of hot water and bake one and one-quarter hours.
8. Remove the pans from the water and let stand at room temperature two hours. Loosen the loaves with a sharp knife, cover with a platter and invert to unmold. Wash the pans thoroughly, then set the loaves back in the pans.
9. Soften the gelatin in one-half cup of the consomme. Bring the remaining consomme to a boil, add the gelatin mixture and stir until dissolved. Add the remaining half cup of sherry. Pour over the pate in the pans and chill overnight.
10. To unmold, loosen with a sharp knife or dip the pans for a second in boiling water. Invert on platters.
Calories 943 Calories from Fat 718
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 80 g122.7%
Saturated Fat 31 g155%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 469.4 mg156.5%
Sodium 1818.4 mg75.8%
Total Carbohydrates 5 g1.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.05 g0.2%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 46 g92.3%
Vitamin A 334.9% Vitamin C 32.2%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 101.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet