Spinach Feta Strudel
|Strudel leaves||20 Ounce (Two 10 Ounce Packages)|
|Fresh spinach||2 Pound|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped onions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 Small, beaten|
|Chopped scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), green part and all|
|Feta cheese||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Fresh dill/1 tablespoon dried dill||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), melted|
1. Remove packages of strudel leaves from the refrigerator at least three hours before using.
2. Wash the spinach in several changes of water. Dry it and cut into two-inch lengths. Cook it in oil until wilted. Drain. Brown the onions in the salt butter.
3. Mix the onions, eggs, scallions, cheese, dill and parsley. Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
5. Butter a square 8x8x2-inch pan. Cut two strudel leaves into six squares each by cutting into thirds lengthwise and in half across (keep the remaining strudel leaves covered to prevent drying).
6. Place one of the squares in the prepared pan and brush with butter. Repeat with the remaining eleven strudel squares, placing each on top of the last. Spread with half the spinach-cheese filling and cover with twelve more squares, brushing each with butter. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients for a second pan.
7. With a sharp knife, cut through the top to mark it into two-inch squares. Bake one hour, or until brown and very puffy. Cut into squares