Danish Roast Goose
|Apples||4 (Greenings Or Other Tart)|
|Goose||1 Pound (Ready To Cook)|
1. The amount of stuffing depends on the size of the goose. Allow one cup for each pound of the bird, ready-to-cook weight. Apples and prunes may be used in equal measure.
2. Soak the prunes two hours or longer, drain and remove the pits. Peel, core and slice the apples. Mix the fruits and sweeten to taste.
3. Preheat oven to moderate (325° F.).
4. Sprinkle the goose inside with salt and fill its cavities with the fruits. Truss as directed on tying the legs loosely to the tail.
5. Place the goose, breast up, on a rack in an open roasting pan and roast until the leg joints move easily and the flesh is soft. Remove the fat from the pan as it is extracted.
6. Make a gravy from the drippings in the pan. Danish cooks sometimes finish off the gravy for roast goose by stirring in a little tart currant jelly.