Armenian Stuffing For Cabbage Leaves
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Raw rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pistachio nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock/Canned chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Prepare the cabbage for stuffing
2. In a skillet heat the oil, add the onion and cook gently until golden brown. Add the rice and cook, covered, over low heat one-half hour. Stir occasionally.
3. Add the remaining ingredients except the cabbage and stock and cook five minutes longer.
4. Strain the liquid into a heavy round casserole. Stuff the cabbage leaves with the rice mixture.
5. Arrange the stuffed leaves in the casserole and weight down with an inverted plate that fits loosely inside the casserole. Add enough chicken stock to reach the rim of the plate and simmer until done, about thirty minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2212 Calories from Fat 1143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 130 g200%
Saturated Fat 18.9 g94.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.4 mg4.8%
Sodium 2875.8 mg119.8%
Total Carbohydrates 238 g79.5%
Dietary Fiber 38.2 g152.8%
Sugars 89.3 g
Protein 45 g90%
Vitamin A 64.2% Vitamin C 659.4%
Calcium 60% Iron 70.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet