|Cabbage head||1 Small|
|Ground pork||3⁄4 Pound|
|Ground beef/Veal||1⁄4 Pound|
|Thin bread slices||2 (That Have Been Soaked In Water)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Remove eight to ten outer leaves from the cabbage and cook them in boiling salted water ten minutes. Reserve the remaining cabbage for salad or other uses.
2. Drain the cooked cabbage and put a leaf or two on a square of double-folded cheesecloth. Mix the meats with the bread and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Put a thin layer on the cabbage and arrange on the cloth.
3. Cover with a leaf or two, add another layer of meat and continue until the leaves and meat are used, ending with a layer of leaves. Gather the four corners of the cloth and tie. Lower into boiling salted water to cover and simmer, covered, one and one-half hours.
4. Preheat oven to hot (400° F.).
5. Remove the cabbage from the cloth and place in a greased baking dish. Dot with the butter and place in the oven until lightly browned.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1656 Calories from Fat 1155
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 129 g198.2%
Saturated Fat 54 g269.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 389.4 mg129.8%
Sodium 2549.3 mg106.2%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.6%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g32.3%
Sugars 8.7 g
Protein 84 g168.9%
Vitamin A 20.5% Vitamin C 156.9%
Calcium 20.1% Iron 38.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet