Tasty Hungarian Walnut Tort
|Rye bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fine, For Dusting The Cake Pans)|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (For Greasing The Pans)|
|Ground walnuts||12 Ounce|
|Fresh bread crumbs||3 Ounce|
|Eggs||12 , separated|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , zest of lemon|
|Icing||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Coffee beans||15 (For Garnish)|
1) Butter three 9 inch cake pans, and line with wax paper or parchment and dust all over with fine rye bread crumbs and keep aside.
2) In a large bowl, combine the ground walnuts and fresh bread crumbs and keep aside.
3) In an electric beater, beat the egg yolks on low then on high speed, until they are thick and pale. Reduce the speed and gradually add sugar. Scrape and beat again for 5 minutes on high until the 1/2 cupsugar dissolves.
4) Add zest of 1 lemon and vanilla, beat briefly and transfer into a large bowl.
5) Beat the egg whites on low then on a high until opaque, gradually add the remaing 1 cup of sugar and continue to beat for a minutes until the mixture forms peaks.
6) Add 1/4 whites to the egg yolks alongwith the 1/4 walnut and breadcrumb mixture, then gently fold everything together. Repeat this again until all the egg white and walnut mixture is thorougly folded into the egg yolks.
7) Divide the batter into the prepared cake pans, rotate the pans gently to level the batter. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
8) Take one cake layer and set on a plate, spread a cup of icing. Then place the 2nd layer top side up and spread a cup of icing. Similarly repeat with the 3rd layer. Nicely spread the icing all over the cake. Garnish with the coffee beans.