American Kitchen Essentials
One can enhance the quality of the food cooked just by using the correct tools for the purpose .There must be a few quintessential tools in an American kitchen to whip up the classic American dishes. Here is a short but complete guide for reference, to understand the priority and usage of the American kitchen tools.
The top ten must haves in an American kitchen are as follows:
- Dutch oven. A variety of American dishes like Turkey Chili, Beef stew, Green Pork stew, Boston baked beans, Chicken and Biscuits are made in these heavy and versatile pots. You should go for a high quality Dutch oven when choosing one for your kitchen.
- Cast Iron Skillet. American food is said to be born in a cast iron skillet. No other equipment can replace a black, well-seasoned, impossibly heavy skillet that can endure a lot of heat for longer durations of time hence used for cooking dishes like cornbread.
- Charcoal Grill/Smoker. Hot smoked salmon fillet or a succulent smoked pork shoulder sounds quite mouthwatering. An American kitchen is all empty without a charcoal grill. Cooking over open tops and embers of a charcoal is the classic American way of cooking.The charcoal grills currently available in market has the option for smoking the food too. So, why not grab one before announcing a fully-set up American kitchen.
- Heavy-Duty Food processor. Since time is one commodity quite scarce in America, there is no life saver for a cook like a good food processor. Purchase a heavy duty food processor, and keep away from the cheap models, so that it lasts for a longer time and has the extra horse-power needed for heavy processing.
- Butcher Block Kitchen Cart Combo. For all those who have to save a lot of space in their apartments and kitchen, you could go for the butcher block kitchen cart combo that houses a kitchen surface and a space saving cart that can be used to store all the other tools. One thing to keep in mind, though is, that you need to take care of cleaning the wooden board time after time.
- Sandwich Press. Americans are said to be experts of Sandwich making and surely gobbling them up. For making the finest sandwiches which are a trademark of modern American cuisine, a Sandwich press is essential equipment for an American kitchen. This tool is relatively new to the Dutch oven or the skillet but the sandwich press, also available in the market as the Panini press is a useful tool to churn out the finest pressed sandwiches in your kitchen.
- Roasting Pan. Another must have kitchen tool is a roasting pan. You can cook the Thanksgiving Turkey and roast prime rib of beef. After you have seared and roasted the meat, you can make sauce or gravy at the bottom of the roaster as well using the pan drippings provided. There will be no further requirement of purchasing the plastic pans for your kitchen once you have this classic equipment. One should look for a pan that has heavy construction and a sturdy handle. This too can last for generations just like the classic Dutch oven.
- Deep Fryer. An all American meal seems to be quite drab without the fried oysters, crispy onion rings, apple fritters, hushpuppies and the all-time favorite French fries. Over the last few years the quality, design and ease of use of fryers has drastically improved. One should purchase a good quality deep fryer to get the taste of real American food.
- Knife Set. Also, a very essential tool set in an American kitchen is a high quality professional Knife set. One needs to buy forged knives i.e. the steel of the blade is embedded till the bottom of the handle, to the slicing and dicing of meat and vegetables.