Saucy Cheese Enchiladas
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce, undrained and chopped (1 can)|
|Canned tomato sauce||15 Ounce (1 can)|
|Chili powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground oregano||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream style cottage cheese||12 Ounce (1 carton)|
|Shredded monterey jack cheese||8 Ounce, divided (2 cups)|
|Canned chopped green chiles||4 Ounce, drained (1 can)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned pinto beans||15 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 can)|
|Canned whole kernel corn||7 Ounce, drained (1 can)|
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until tender.
3. Add in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, oregano, and cumin; stir.
4. Allow it to simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring at intervals
5. In a shallow bowl, pour 2 cups enchilada sauce; set aside.
6. Into a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish, spoon 1 cup sauce; set aside. Pour the remaining sauce in skillet.
7. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, and chiles; stir well, and set aside.
8. In a wide frying pan, fry tortillas, one at a time, in 1/2 cup olive oil for 1 second on each side or just until tortillas are softened. Remove and drain on paper towels.
9. Dredge each tortilla in the reserved enchilada sauce.
10. Put in beans and corn into the remaining sauce in skillet; stir well.
11. Apply each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons cottage cheese mixture.
12. With a spoon, add about 1/2 cup bean mixture over half of each tortilla; fold tortilla in half.
13. Keep each enchilada(folded tortillas) on the reserved baking dish.
14. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
15. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
16. Serve hot on individual plates. Yields 12 servings.
Calories 383 Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.2%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.2 mg7.1%
Sodium 975.7 mg40.7%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.6%
Dietary Fiber 7 g28.1%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 13 g26.2%
Vitamin A 56.2% Vitamin C 35.6%
Calcium 26.4% Iron 19%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet