Turkey and Green Chili Enchiladas
|Shredded cooked turkey||3⁄4 Pound, or slivered (3 Cups)|
|Fresh hot green chilies||3 , stemmed, seeded and finely chopped|
|Jalapeno peppers||2 , stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped (Fresh)|
|Onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Tomato||1 Large, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Chopped cilantro||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted turkey stock/Chicken stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomatillos||3⁄4 Pound, papery husks removed, blanched 2 minutes, cored and quartered|
|Grated monterey jack cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh oregano/1/4 teaspoon dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Plain low fat yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Grease a large baking dish or shallow casserole with oil or butter.
3. In a food processor or blender combine half of the green chilies, jalapeno peppers, onion, tomato, garlic, cilantro, stock, lemon juice and sugar.
4. Pulse for about 8 seconds into a rough puree consistency.
5. Add the tomatillos into the processor and pulse for another 5 seconds until coarsely chopped.
6. Into a medium sauté pan, pour the salsa and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside
7. Make the filling for the tortillas, in a large mixing bowl
8. Combine the turkey, 2/3 cup of the cheese, remaining green chilies, cumin, oregano, salt and half of the sauce.
9. Place a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
10. Warm a tortilla on the skillet for 10 seconds on each side to soften it.
11. Spread a spoon of the salsa on the tortilla and stuff it with 1/3 of the prepared filling, down the center of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla and arrange seam side down, in the greased baking dish.
12. Stuff the remaining tortillas in the same manner.
13. Pour the remaining hot sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
14. Bake, in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
15. Serve the enchiladas from the baking dish or serve onto individual plates.
16. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and yogurt.
17. Spoon it over the enchiladas just before serving or serve it as an accompaniment.
Calories 544 Calories from Fat 178
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.6%
Saturated Fat 11.7 g58.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 107.5 mg35.8%
Sodium 491.5 mg20.5%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.1%
Sugars 11.9 g
Protein 34 g69%
Vitamin A 33.2% Vitamin C 82.7%
Calcium 42.6% Iron 23.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet