Beef Enchilada Pie
|Lean ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Corn kernels||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Fresh Frozen Or Canned)|
|Scallions||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), sliced|
|Chopped cilantro||2 Tablespoon (Coriander)|
|Canned chicken broth/Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Green chiles||4 Ounce, peeled , diced or chopped, drained (1 Can)|
|Corn tortillas||4 Ounce (6 Inch Diameter)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Shredded cheese||2 Ounce (Longhorn Or Other Mild Cheddar)|
|Cilantro sprigs||1 (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Crumble the beef into a heavy medium skillet. Add the garlic, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the meat is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Drain off any fat.
2. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the corn kernels for garnish; add the remainder to the beef and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the scallions and chopped cilantro.
3. Pour the stock into a small heavy saucepan. Place the flour in a sieve over the pan. Gently tap the sieve and gradually whisk the flour into the stock. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the chiles and simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat.
4. Lightly brush both sides of the tortillas with the oil. Place a heavy medium skillet or griddle, preferably nonstick, over moderate heat. Working quickly, warm the tortillas, one at a time, turning once or twice until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stack them on a cutting board and cut into 6 wedges each.
5. Arrange half of the tortilla wedges in an 8-inch square baking pan and top with all of the meat filling. Spoon on half of the sauce and half of the cheese. Layer the remaining tortilla wedges over the cheese; spoon on the remaining sauce and cheese. Sprinkle the top with the paprika and the reserved 2 tablespoons corn.
6. Bake until hot and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 4 squares. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1316 Calories from Fat 448
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g77.4%
Saturated Fat 21.2 g106%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 179.9 mg60%
Sodium 1721.6 mg71.7%
Total Carbohydrates 127 g42.2%
Dietary Fiber 17.7 g70.9%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 90 g179.9%
Vitamin A 98.6% Vitamin C 490.1%
Calcium 87.4% Iron 72%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet