Cheese Enchiladas with Bean and Corn Chili
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh / Frozen)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Canned plum tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 Can, Italian Style)|
|Ground cumin||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Canned kidney beans||19 Ounce, undrained (1 Can)|
|Canned corn niblets||12 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Canned chopped green chilies||4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Ricotta cheese||8 Ounce (1 Container)|
|Shredded cheese||8 Ounce (Monterey Jack Style)|
|Corn tortillas||5 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package, 5 Inch Size)|
1. Saute the onion and the garlic in 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes. Stir in the cumin, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to boiling, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Add the beans, corn and half the chilies. Return the mixture to boiling. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Spoon the chili into the pan.
4. Combine the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups of the Monterey Jack-style cheese and the remaining chilies in a small bowl.
5. Heat 1/2 teaspoon of the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla and soften briefly, turning once. Remove the tortilla to a work surface. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the cheese filling down the center of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up to enclose the filling. Place the tortilla, seam-side down, on the chili. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling; you should have about 10 enchiladas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the enchiladas.
6. Preheat the oven to moderate (375°).
7. Bake the enchiladas on the chili in the preheated moderate oven (375°) for 30 minutes or until the enchiladas are heated through and the chili is bubbly hot.
Calories 294 Calories from Fat 132
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.9%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31.5 mg10.5%
Sodium 841.1 mg35%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.8%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 16 g32.1%
Vitamin A 9.6% Vitamin C 23.9%
Calcium 36.4% Iron 7.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet