Spiced Beef Enchiladas
|Red chili sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Lean boneless beef chuck||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1 inch cubes (675 Gram)|
|Lard/Vegetable shortening||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Finely chopped onion||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup, White Colored)|
|Beef stock/Beef broth||180 Milliliter (3/4 Cup)|
|Raisins||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Anise seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crushed|
|6 inch corn tortillas||12|
|Shredded mild cheddar cheese||500 Milliliter (2 Cups)|
|Mexican cream/Sour cream||180 Milliliter (3/4 Cup)|
|Sliced pitted ripe olives||80 Milliliter (1/3 Cup)|
|Chopped fresh coriander||1 Tablespoon|
1. Prepare Red Chili Sauce.
2. Sprinkle beef with salt. Heat lard in 10-inch (25-cm) skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef and cook, turning frequently, until brown on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes; remove with slotted spoon to plate. Repeat with remaining beef.
3. Add onion to drippings in skillet; saute over medium heat until soft, about 4 minutes. Return beef to skillet. Add stock, raisins, garlic, cloves, anise seeds and 1/4 cup (60 mL) Red Chili Sauce; mix well. Heat over medium-high heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until beef is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
4. Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Using 2 forks, pull beef into coarse shreds in skillet. Heat remaining Chili Sauce in medium skillet over medium heat until hot; reduce heat to very low.
5. Dip 1 tortilla in hot sauce just until limp, a few seconds; remove, draining off excess sauce. Spread about 3 tablespoons (45 mL) beef mixture down center of tortilla; roll up and place seam-side-down in 13x9x2-inch (33x23x5-cm) baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and beef. Pour remaining sauce evenly over enchiladas.
6. Sprinkle enchiladas evenly with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Just before serving, spoon Mexican Cream down center of enchiladas; garnish with olives.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5074 Calories from Fat 2524
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 298 g459%
Saturated Fat 147.4 g737.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 676.2 mg225.4%
Sodium 8337.3 mg347.4%
Total Carbohydrates 332 g110.7%
Dietary Fiber 24.7 g98.7%
Sugars 48 g
Protein 289 g578.7%
Vitamin A 150.5% Vitamin C 30.9%
Calcium 456.1% Iron 155.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet