Wegmans Executive Chef Mark Makovec shares an easy twist to the classic Eggplant Parmesan. This casserole is affordably, healthy and certainly delicious. It feeds a family or friends stopping over for dinner. This is one veggie meal even the kids approve. It is one of those recipes that should go into "the family book" of preferred recipes to be made once every few weeks. Its a great meatless option to have for dinner and for once you don't miss the meat. Great served with a pasta or crusty bread.
1 Pound, trimmed, sliced in 1/2-inch rounds (about 2 medium)
Extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoon (Italian Classics Toscano)
Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 Cup (16 tbs) (Italian Classics)
1 Cup (16 tbs), divided (Italian Classics)
Cracked black pepper
Shredded mozzarella cheese
8 Ounce (Wegmans)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Spray bottom and sides of a 9 3/4 x 14 1/16 x 3 3/4 -inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
3. Spread bottom of pan with 1 1/2 cups of sauce. Top with overlapping layer of eggplant slices; drizzle with olive oil.
4. Add even layer of bread crumbs; sprinkle with half the grated cheese.
5. Season to taste with seasoned salt and cracked black pepper.
6. Top with remaining sauce and remaining grated cheese.
7. Cover pan with aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
8. Remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven, uncovered, 5 minutes, until cheese melts.
9. Let rest 15 min before serving.
10. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and chopped fresh basil or parsley on top, if desired. Serve as a side to pasta or meat or serve as a meatless meal, accompanied with bread.