Real Texas Parmesan Part 5
|Eggplant||2 Large, peeled and cut into thick , round slices|
|Thai basil leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm), only the leaves plucked and kept whole|
|Red bell peppers||3 Large, deseeded and sliced|
|Jalapeno peppers||10 Medium, minced|
|White onions||3 Large, thinly sliced in rounds|
|Mushrooms||750 Gram, sliced|
|Eggs||3 Large, lightly beaten|
|Breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato pasta sauce||750 Gram|
|Cottage cheese||750 Gram, pureed|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Peel the egg plant and cut it across into round slices.
3. Break the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly.
4. In a plate, mix the breadcrumbs and the flour together.
5. Dip each eggplant slice into the beaten eggs.
6. Dip a whole basil leaf into the beaten eggs too, and stick onto one face of the slice.
7. Coat, both the faces of the eggplant slice with the breadcrumbs mixture, by lightly pressing, each face onto the plate, containing the flour mixture.
8. In a non stick frying skillet, add the oil and fry the eggplant slices, with the basil side face down, on medium heat. Cook the slices for 2 minutes, on each side.
9. Put the slices on a paper towel to, drain the excess oil.
Laying the Parmigiana
10. In a large Pyrex baking dish, put the bigger eggplant slices in a single layer. Use the smaller slices/pieces of slices, to fill up the remaining spaces.
11. Using a spatula, cover the slices with some of the pureed cottage cheese.
12. Using a ladle, sparingly cover the cottage cheese with the pasta sauce, else the slices will turn soggy.
13. Sprinkle ¼ cups, each of the shredded mozzarella, cheddar and parmesan cheeses over the sauce.
14. Place the sliced Red bell peppers over the cheese.
15. Scatter the minced Jalapeno Peppers over the bell peppers.
16. Place the sliced onion rounds on top of the jalapenos and peppers.
17. Add a layer of sliced mushrooms.
18. Using a ladle, add pasta sauce, on top of the mushrooms.
19. Press the fried eggplants in a layer, on top of the sauce, starting with the bigger slices. Use the smaller slices and broken bits, to fill in between the spaces.
20. Using a spatula, layer the pureed cottage cheese on top and over the edges of the eggplant slices.
21. Pour the remaining pasta sauce over the cottage cheese.
22. Shower a heavy layer of the three cheeses, over the pasta sauce.
23. Bake inside a pre heated oven at 350 F, until it’s cooked through.
24. To be served warm, along with a fresh green salad.
The fried eggplant slices can be zip locked and frozen, until you want to use them.
It is a good idea to place a cookie sheet below the baking dish, as the Parmigiana tends to bubble over, while baking.
Calories 656 Calories from Fat 226
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.1%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 170.7 mg56.9%
Sodium 1409.1 mg58.7%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.8%
Dietary Fiber 12.7 g50.7%
Sugars 20.8 g
Protein 47 g93.5%
Vitamin A 100.8% Vitamin C 211.5%
Calcium 72.4% Iron 30.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet