Traditionally eggplant rollatini is made with breaded, fried eggplant and ricotta cheese. I changed it up to make it lighter and healthier. This version is grilled and gluten free. It is made with cashew “cheese” so it is dairy free too! Great for vegans! Even though this version is lighter and healthier it has not lost any flavor, it tastes even better than the original. Enjoy!
The nutritional yeast in the cashews gives it a satisfying “cheesy” flavor. What is nutritional yeast? It is used in vegan and raw food diets. Technically it is not raw as it needs to be pasteurized to kill the yeast. It is a healthy nutritional supplement with a “cheesy flavor” many vegans enjoy. It is a great source of B vitamins. It is also a complete protein with 18 amino acids. There are 8 grams of protein in 1 ½ tablespoon of nutritional yeast, the same amount as in 1 cup of milk.
Please See Video
1) Preheat the grill.
2) In a food processor, mix the cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, oregano and thyme. Process adding as much water as you need to form a paste. Season with Celtic salt and pepper.
3) Turn on the grill to medium. Brush the eggplant with olive oil and grill over medium heat turning once until tender and lightly charred, 3 minutes per side.
4) Place the eggplant on a cutting board and season with Celtic salt and pepper. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the cashew “cheese” onto one end of each eggplant slice. Roll into a tight log. Cover with plastic wrap.
5) For the tomato sauce, brush the tomatoes with olive oil. Grill until tender and lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer tomatoes to a blender and puree a few seconds until smooth.
6) Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Add garlic sauté on low heat 2 minutes until garlic is softened.
7) Add pureed tomatoes. Simmer until sauce is thickened about 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the basil.
8) Spoon warm tomato sauce onto the plate. Place eggplants on top in a pinwheel design. Garnish with whole basil leaves.
Here is a vegan version to the famous Italian rollatini. Flavored mostly by grilling, this eggplant roll is stuffed with a cashew herbed cheese. A good option when you are entertaining guests. Add on some garlic bread and you have a beautiful meal laid out!