Halloween Special Eggplant Witch
1) Make "Chasen Nasu" and soak in water to remove the oxalic acid.
2) Heat Japanese stock, sake, sweet sake, sugar in a deep pot, dilute miso in 1/2 cup soup broth, add Chasen Nasu and carrot slices, then cover with Otoshi Buta (drop-lid) and cook on low
heat for 10 minutes.
3) Flip eggplants, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes until the eggplants soften.
4) Pour the soup on a dish, twist and press the eggplant by hand to form the witch shape.
5) Attach carrot slices with a toothpick (like a magic stick) and stick it on to the eggplant witch. Serve and enjoy!
Drop-lid is called "Otoshi Buta" a in Japanese. It is traditionally made of wood but you can use aluminum foil. They ensure that the heat is evenly distributed and reduce the tendency of liquid to boil with large bubbles and break the fragile ingredients.