Indian Baingan Bharta
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Crushed tomatoes||5 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Jalapeno||1⁄4 Medium, minced|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger onion garlic||1 Tablespoon, pureed|
|Fresh coriander||4 Medium (Leaves With Stems)|
|Mint leaves||6 Medium, chopped finely|
|Lime||1⁄2 Medium, juiced|
|Ginger slices||3 Medium, julienned|
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut three slits into both sides of eggplant and wrap tightly in foil.
3. Roast for 45 minutes or until eggplant collapses and is cooked through.
4. Alternatively, you can reluctantly microwave it, covered, for 15 min.
5. Heat a pot or wok over medium-high and add vegetable oil.
6. Add onions and brown them slightly.
7. Add dry spices, GOG and Chilies.
8. Add crushed tomatoes and turn heat to medium low.
9. Let fry for 10-15 minutes, until mixture starts to dry.
10. Once your eggplant has roasted let it cool down for 5 to 10 min.
11. Remove all the flesh with a spoon, and discard the skin.
12. Chop the flesh or quickly purée in three short bursts in your food processor.
13. Add eggplant to spicy tomato mixture, mix well and add lime juice.
14. Garnish with coriander, mint and ginger and serve!
You can leave off the ginger, let the mixture cool and use as a sandwich spread, a dip or a topping for canapés!