Microwave Eggplant Parmesan
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Canned tomato sauce||15 Ounce (1 can)|
|Brown sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Eggplant slices||8 , unpeeled (Medium-Sized, 3/4-inch thick)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated, divided|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
1) Into a 1 to 1 1/2-quart casserole, add in the chopped onion and butter. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes or till the onions become soft.
2) Add in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, oregano and pepper. Cover once again and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.
3) Give the mixture a stir. Microwave on MEDIUM for about 7 minutes till the flavors blend together well. Stir once halfway through the cook time.
4) Keep the sauce aside.
5) Into a bowl, add in the milk and egg. Mix well.
6) Dip the eggplant slices in egg mixture and dredge them in a plateful of bread crumbs.
7) Arrange the eggplant slices in a 12X8-inch dish in a single file. Let the slices overlap each other. Cover the dish with wax paper.
8) Microwave on HIGH for 15 minutes or till the skin of the eggplant becomes soft. Halfway between rotate the dish 1/2 turn.
9) Sprinkle 3/4 the amount of mozzarella cheese on top of the eggplant.
10) Pour the prepared tomato sauce over the eggplant. Top it with the remaining cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes till the cheese has melted.
11) Serve the Eggplant Parmesan hot garnished with fresh parsley.
Calories 397 Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.4%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 89.1 mg29.7%
Sodium 925.3 mg38.6%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.8%
Dietary Fiber 26 g104.1%
Sugars 25.4 g
Protein 20 g40.2%
Vitamin A 20.9% Vitamin C 40.6%
Calcium 33% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet