Stuffed Eggplant Delight
|Vegetable cooking spray||1|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, chopped|
|Zucchini||1 Medium, diced|
|Mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Tomato||1 Medium, chopped|
|Tomato sauce||1 Can (10 oz), no salt added|
|Cooked brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), without salt or fat|
|Part skim mozzarella cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsalted sunflower kernels||2 Tablespoon, toasted|
|Italian seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a 13X9X2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2) Rinse the eggplant. Slice them into halves lengthwise. Scoop the pulp out leaving a 1/4-inch thick shell.
3) Slice up the pulp. Keep aside 2 cups of the pulp. Keep aside the remaining pulp. Sprinkle a little lemon to prevent the pulp from darkening.
4) Spray a large-sized skillet with the cooking spray. Add in oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add in the onions, green pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or till it becomes tender.
5) Add in 2 cups of chopped eggplant, tomato and tomato sauce. Cook without cover for 15 minutes over medium flame. Stir occasionally. Take the skillet off the heat.
6) Add in the rice, mozzarella cheese, sunflower kernels and Italian seasoning.
7) Arrange the eggplant shells in the baking dish.
8) Transfer the mixture over the shells. Sprinkle the top with grated cheese.
9) Bake for about 15 minutes or till the mixture heats up completely.
10) Serve the Stuffed Eggplant Delight garnished with chopped parsley leaves.
Calories 358 Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.4%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25.4 mg8.5%
Sodium 482.5 mg20.1%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 11.2 g44.6%
Sugars 13.9 g
Protein 18 g35.7%
Vitamin A 21.8% Vitamin C 98.9%
Calcium 39.5% Iron 12.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet