Sausage Stuffed Eggplant
|Eggplants/2 medium sized ones||1 Large, cut into halves|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (as required)|
|Fresh pork sausage||1 Pound (bulk)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound (2 cups, 1 can)|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Lightly butter a baking dish with 1-tablespoon of butter.
3) In a pot, place eggplants with salted water.
4) Heat, and parboil the eggplant for 10 minutes.
5) Remove the eggplant and let it cool, and chop.
6) With a spoon scoop the flesh of eggplant leaving ½ a inch shell.
7) In the non- stick pan heat the remaining butter and brown the sausages.
8) Remove the sausages from pan, crumble it and drain on paper towels.
9) Drain the sausage fat from the pan, leaving 1 tablespoon of it.
10) In the same pan and fat, sautÃ© onion, garlic, celery and green peppers for 5 minute or until limp.
11) Add eggplant pulp, tomatoes, seasonings and sugar.
12) Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes more.
13) Add the sausage mixture and simmer for 5 minutes more.
14) Lightly pack the mixture in the eggplant shell.
15) Place the shells on a baking dish, top it with bread crumbs and cheese.
16) Bake for 45 minutes.
17) Serve hot on the small mix leaf salad.