Braised Eggplant and Tomato with Sage
|Eggplants||1 Pound (2 Small, 1/2 Pound Each)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Plum tomatoes||1⁄2 Pound, halved|
|Fresh sage leaves||6|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), halved|
|Red peppers||1 Pinch, crushed|
1) Remove the stem ends from the eggplants. Cut into half along the length.
2) Sprinkle the eggplants with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for 30 minutes.
3) Gently squeeze excess liquid from the eggplants and blot dry with paper towels.
4) In a large skillet, add 1/4 cup of oil and heat up.
5) Add the eggplants in a single layer, cut-side down.
6) Arrange the tomatoes, sage leaves and garlic on top.
7) Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the red pepper.
8) Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 20 minutes, over moderate heat.
9) Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
10) Carefully turn the eggplants, cover and cook until soft, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
11) Use 2 warmed shallow soup plates, to place 2 pieces of eggplant. Top with the tomatoes and juices.
If you wish, slip off the tomato skins.
Calories 505 Calories from Fat 423
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.1%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 742.8 mg31%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g36.6%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 4 g7.4%
Vitamin A 16.2% Vitamin C 31.2%
Calcium 3.4% Iron 7.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet