1) Remove the stem ends from the eggplants. Cut into half along the length.
2) Sprinkle the eggplants with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for 30 minutes.
3) Gently squeeze excess liquid from the eggplants and blot dry with paper towels.
4) In a large skillet, add 1/4 cup of oil and heat up.
5) Add the eggplants in a single layer, cut-side down.
6) Arrange the tomatoes, sage leaves and garlic on top.
7) Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the red pepper.
8) Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 20 minutes, over moderate heat.
9) Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
10) Carefully turn the eggplants, cover and cook until soft, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
11) Use 2 warmed shallow soup plates, to place 2 pieces of eggplant. Top with the tomatoes and juices.