Eggplant and Spinach Timbales
|Eggplant||1 Pound (1 Eggplant)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Spinach||1⁄2 Pound, stemmed|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||3 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), finely chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), finely chopped|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Basil||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Roasted garlic puree||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1) Remove the eggplant stem and cut into half along the length.
2) With a sharp knife, score the flat surfaces with deep diagonal cuts.
3) Season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and let drain on paper towels, cut-side down, for 1 hour.
4) Preheat the oven to 350°.
5) In a large saucepan pour in water and bring it to a boil over high heat.
6) Add the spinach leaves and blanch until wilted but still bright green, 5 to 10 seconds.
7) Transfer the spinach on a colander and squeeze dry. Drain the leaves flat on paper towels.
8) In a small roasting pan, place the eggplant with the cut-side up.
9) Brush each half with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
10) Place inside oven to bake for an hour or until soft.
11) Scrape out the flesh with a spoon, after cooling slightly.
12) Finely chop the eggplant and place in a medium bowl.
13) In a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon oil to heat up.
14) SautÃ© the onion and red pepper, for 5 minutes or until golden.
15) Add the onion to the chopped eggplant and blend in the egg, basil, parsley, Roasted Garlic Puree, black pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
16) Use two 2/3-cup ramekins to brush with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil.
17) Line the base and sides of the ramekins with spinach leaves, overlapping them on the sides and letting them extend over the rims.
18) Fill the ramekins with the eggplant mixture and fold the overhanging spinach leaves over the surface. Fold any remaining spinach neatly over the tops.
19) Place the ramekins in a steamer over boiling water.
20) Steam the ramekins for 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and hot to the touch.
21) Remove from the steamer, cover with foil and let rest in a warm place for about 10 minutes.
22) To serve, run a knife around the inside of the ramekins, drain off any excess liquid and invert each timbale onto a warmed dinner plate.
Steps 1-18 can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
Calories 389 Calories from Fat 274
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.6%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg35.2%
Sodium 1589.4 mg66.2%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 11.7 g46.9%
Sugars 8.3 g
Protein 10 g20.2%
Vitamin A 252.5% Vitamin C 136.7%
Calcium 18.1% Iron 28.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet