|Eggplants||20 Ounce (2 Eggplants,285 G Each)|
|White sesame seeds||3 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Secondary bonito stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
1. Peel eggplant and quarter lengthwise. Soak in cold water for 15 to 20 minutes. Wrap one piece at a time in a paper towel or absorbent cloth and gently press to remove excess water.
2. Toast and grind sesame seeds.
3. Heat oil in wok or deep skillet to medium deep-frying temperature (340°F/170°C). Test oil with a small crouton-sized piece of bread. If it rises immediately and browns evenly, then oil is ready. Carefully lay in eggplant and turn frequently until slightly but evenly browned. Drain on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
4. Place eggplant in a skillet flat side down. Add just enough bonito stock to cover eggplant. Bring to a boil over medium heat and add sugar. Continue boiling over medium heat for 1 minute, then sprinkle on soy sauce and sesame.
5. Transfer eggplant to serving platter, spoon on sauce, and serve. For thicker sauce, add cornstarch mixed with 2 tsps cold water and simmer, while mixing, until thickened.