Rigati Eggplant Bake
|Eggplant||2 Pound (Use 1 Large)|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil/Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Elbow macaroni/Rigati / ziti||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped (1 Cup)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Marinara sauce||24 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Canned marinara sauce||24 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Cream-style cottage cheese||1 Pound (1 Container)|
|Cream style cottage cheese||1 Pound (1 Container)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Italian seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Sliced provolone cheese||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Trim off the eggplant ends, cut into 1/2-inch slices and pare.
3) In a large skillet, saute the slices in the required oil in batches until soft, then drain on paper towel.
4) In a kettle, cook the rigati as per package directions, then drain and return to the kettle.
5) In the same skillet, saute the onion until soft, then stir in the marinara sauce and simmer until thoroughly heated.
6) Pour the sauce over the cooked rigati and blend well to mix.
7) In a small bowl, mix the cottage cheese, parsley and Italian seasoning together.
8) In a shallow 12-cup baking dish, place 1/2 the rigati mixture, then arrange 1/2 the eggplant slices and spread over the cheese mixture.
9) Spread rest of the rigati mixture and arrange rest of the eggplant slices.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Then slice the provolone cheese into strips and arrange over the eggplant.
11) Bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and the rigati mixture is bubbly.
12) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.
Calories 1510 Calories from Fat 739
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 84 g128.9%
Saturated Fat 19.4 g97.1%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 64.4 mg21.5%
Sodium 1709.5 mg71.2%
Total Carbohydrates 140 g46.6%
Dietary Fiber 17.5 g69.9%
Sugars 29.6 g
Protein 51 g102.2%
Vitamin A 26% Vitamin C 35.9%
Calcium 48.8% Iron 21.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet