|Eggplant||1 Medium, unpeeled, cut into 0.5 inch cubes|
|Russet potatoes||2 , peeled, cut into 0.5 inch cubes|
|Tomatoes||4 , cut into 0.5 inch cubes|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped (Hara Dhania)|
|Cumin seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Green chili||1 , chopped (Adjust To Taste)|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Paprika||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Degi Mirch)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Adjust To Taste)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
1. In a frying pan, heat oil over medium high temperature. Frying pan should have at least 1 1/2 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one piece of potato in the oil; the potato should sizzle right away. If vegetables are fried in low heat they will be very oily.
2. Fry the potatoes till they are cooked well, turn the potatoes few times while frying.
3. Take out potatoes with a slotted spoon as this allows excess oil to drip back into the frying pan; place on a paper towel.
4. Test the oil again with a piece of eggplant. Fry the eggplant pieces same way.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the shredded ginger, green pepper, coriander powder, paprika, turmeric, and 2 tablespoons of water to make a paste.
6. Heat the 1-tablespoon of oil in a pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
7. Add cumin seeds and asafetida and let the seeds crack.
8. Add the spice mixture and stir-fry for a minute until you see the oil starts to separate from the spice mixture.
9. Add chopped tomatoes stir-fry for a minute.
10. Add fried potatoes and eggplant and mix it gently; let it simmer for about three to four minute on medium low heat.
11. This dish should be not very dry, if required add three to four spoons of water.
12. Turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro mix it well.
13. Serve hot with Indian bread or as filling for sandwiches. Enjoy!
Calories 1137 Calories from Fat 1026
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 116 g178.6%
Saturated Fat 15.1 g75.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 504 mg21%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.9%
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 5 g9.2%
Vitamin A 38.6% Vitamin C 52.2%
Calcium 7.6% Iron 17.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet